Sunday, March 22, 2009

Overhauling

I'm getting kind of sick of apologizing for how long I go between posts and blaming it on being busy--who isn't? I have gotten to play a bit though which has been a lot of fun. I don't know if it's because I live in a house of boys, the post partum frumpiness feeling, or that I watch What Not to Wear almost every morning while I'm nursing Charlie, but I've had this drive lately to make some changes. I started at Valentine's Day when I lovingly requested a Ped Egg. I know, nothing says I love you like a 'please take care of your nasty feet' Ped Egg. I don't think they market it quite like that, but they should because it totally took care of nasty feet and I plan on buying a cute pair of sandals for the summer. I was almost inspired to take a before and after picture, I just need to find time to paint my toe nails now.

But I wasn't stopping at my feet, I needed something girlier. So I called my friend Nickie and went to the mall, where we spent over an hour in Sephora. Thank you Nickie! Whenever I look at make-up I kind of stumble around awkwardly picking up a bunch of different things, and then usually put them all back because I have no idea what to do with them. So Nickie gave me a brief Make-Up 101 lesson so as to minimize the seventh grader playing in her mom's make-up drawer look. Dave I think is still adjusting, he's learning not to point out if there's something glittery on my face anymore because it's probably there on purpose and not as a result of arts and craft time.

But something more was needed, I wanted my bedroom back. For the last six months I would pull things out of my closet, like a box of maternity clothes and just sit it in my window seat because it would only be there temporarily. Slowly I began to realize that most of the things I was wearing were shoved into shelves and boxes askew in my room, very atypical of my personality, and all the things organized and hanging up had dust on them. I woke up one morning and said no more. I went through every box, drawer, and hanger in my room and took five loads of laundry to the the DI. I still had things from highschool lurking about well past their prime. It was liberating dropping it all off! And I had plenty of room in my closet to justify ordering a couple of shirts on clearance on-line. I even moved any baby items still lingering about and I feel like I have my little haven back.

One last girl item I haven't taken the time to do lately, scrap night! A quick trip to my local scrapbooking store and then off to Nickie's house once again for a few more hours of boy free time. Granted I spent the whole time making baby shower invites and 54 very late baby announcements, it was still nice to be doing it. I have to admit my family kind of gets the shaft on things like this, I don't send them to all my cousins, because then it would be like 80 instead of 54. So to the family out there, coming to a mailbox near you...

So at this point I have to say thank you, thank you to Dave for understanding I needed to do a few fun things lately. He's found sanctity through all of this by rediscovering his guitars, which were buried in the closet mess. Heath and Wade like to sit in his lap while he plays and get to strum from time to time, and Charlie joins in on the jam sessions too via bouncer seat. Now every night Dave's very happy to let me watch whatever retarded girly show I want while nursing Charlie and he can slip away in the magical world of Pearl Jam and Beattles (I know, weird combo right?)

Next, I'm dying to try whitening my teeth.

7 comments:

Kodie said...

Yay Jil! Good for you. I have been noticing you looking extra cute.

boo face mcjones said...

oh i must see your new girlie look! it seems a shame that you wouldn't post photos to document it...

but i still love you. and i miss you. and, as heath would say, i need you.

Kinley said...

Good girl! That sounds like too much fun and now I need to find myself a "Nickie" and go to town! You are an inspiration! I think I may try reclaiming my life too!Your little boys really are so cute! and hey, I have a doughter mnow so maybe in 20 years we could work something out huh? hee hee!

Nickie said...

I love you honey, we need more time to play again. =)

Mel said...

I want to whiten my teeth too! Let's do it...I'm feeling crazy!

Nickie said...

btw
I looooooove that picture of you and Charles! I need some pics of me with my baby like that!
Love love love it!
I just thougth I'd tell you here just in case I forget to tell you when I see you.

boo face mcjones said...

this is the last time i'm going to ask kindly.

update, please?