Seattle started our summer off, with the first trip outside the states of ID and UT Dave and I have ever taken together. Though not far from home, it was still a good time, despite the Mariners having the worst season that they have perhaps ever had (Disclaimer: my opinion only, please see Dave for official ruling on the worst season the Mariners have had.)
As soon as we returned it was T-ball season! Dave and I were excited, this is the first sports team Heath has ever gotten to do, and Dave had been practicing with him during the spring to get him ready. Heath was oddly shy the first practice, but was in love with his coach by the time we left and seemed to be excited for a month of games and practice. Sadly it peaked after the first week, and all that enthusiasm was gone after their first game. He never got sick of getting to put on his uniform, he was number 3 for the Pirates! But he HATED playing the field, and it wasn't worth the boredom of fielding for the opportunity to take a turn hitting. By the end of the month I was having to literally drag him out of the backseat of the car crying to go play. It didn't help that his games were usually at lunch or dinner time, that added to the crankiness and lack of good sportsmanship at times.
Along with summer fun came the summer work projects. We had to take out a tree that didn't make it through the winter, and we planted three more. We also tried to solve our flooding problem in the backyard, but have merely transferred it (back to the drawing board.) But most exciting, we finally planted a vegetable garden! For our first garden it was kind of an experiment and we didn't plan on having it turn out so well. Dave has had to trim back the pumpkins and tomatoes a couple times, and they still spill out into the yard. I think I'm gonna have to learn how to can tomatoes this year.
Heath also got to take swimming lessons, which I was a little hesitant to sign him up for since T-ball went so well and he has shown a bit of fear of swimming pools in the past. No pictures to show off, but he LOVED it! He didn't pass the level because he won't jump in without someone catching him. But he made big steps with his confidence in the pool and was sad when they were over. He's even asked to get to do swimming lessons again! Hurray!
I feel like I should mention a few of Wade's accomplishments this summer too besides tagging along to all Heath's activities. He's loved getting to go out and play, winter indoors could be a challenge. Wade also got to go swimming for the first time, though he often doesn't wait for a swim suit. And though he's only a year and half and slightly small for his age he can out eat his brother and just about keep up with him running around the house or the yard. He imitates everything Heath does. He's learned how to jump and dance and started nursery. He gives the best hugs and kisses in the whole house, and is just as easy going and shy as ever. But most exciting to me, he's worked on expanding his vocabulary and vocal range outside of "eats" and "its!" He has about twenty words now, although sometimes they take some prompting.
Overall, this summer has had some lows (morning sickness, Becca and Jesse leaving Boise) but a lot of highs (did I mention that Dave had his best round of golf ever this summer) and fun. Now we move into autumn with plans and schedules including Heath starting preschool and the arrival of number three around Christmas takes some extra planning. But I'm sure a few more summer fun moments might sneak in along the way.

4 comments:
oh my goodness, as if i weren't homesick enough. that little picture of wade in the pool almost made me cry. i'm ready to come back to boise now...
there are absolutely no spiders whatsoever in boise, are there?
Jil - I loved every word. You have such a fun way of sharing. Thank you! Gosh I wish we lived closer to one another.
Your boys are a delight. I dont know how number 3 could be anymore different than the two you have. It will be interesting to see how he turns out.
These boys have such fun personalities. It makes me want to be there right now and hold them. Please tell them that Auntie M loves all the stories about them. I love you all.
I love that last picture of Wade, he's soooo cute.
I'm glad I've been around all summer to enjoy all the stuff, and be barfy with you!
Yeah blogging! I just found yours from nickie's. You garden is enormous! My this year was pathetic. And I love the T-ball and pool pics. Too cute.
Post a Comment