Friday, October 9, 2009

Glory Days

So today's my birthday. And I really don't expect a big hoopla on my birthdays, maybe just a little extra attention and doting from my husband and kids, treat myself to something small, magical elves to come clean my house spotless and cook a wonderful meal, a surprise prepaid vacation to London or New York. (what any girl would want.) So this morning I woke up feeling pretty awful. I started getting sick last night and unfortunately whatever I caught does not know it's my birthday and it decided to stick around, canceling anything fun I thought about doing today. But I also awoke to the sound of my family singing Happy Birthday to me, which is a sweet treat. And since I wasn't feeling well Dave called the hospital and told them he was going to be a little late getting in so he could help me out a little. He let me lay in bed and took the boys downstairs to get them breakfast.

As I was laying in bed enjoying the sounds in the kitchen below I overheard the following discussion:

Dave: "What cereal do you want for breakfast?"
Wade (squealing): "Marshmellows!!!"
Heath (defiantly): "I can get my own cereal Dad."
Dave (skeptically): "When did you start getting your own cereal?"
Heath: "Mom taught me."
Dave (still skeptical): "When did she teach you that?"
Heath: "When she was 27. Remember when mom was 27?"

Oh Heath...it feels like only yesterday...wait a minute. I'm so glad my family can look back to my youthful glory days and remember when. But don't worry, on Dave's way out the door he was sure to let me know that I could no longer claim to be in my mid-twenties I was knocking on 30's door. Then he told me I was falling apart in my old age. (I enjoy these little reminders from him, like he's younger than me.)

Here's to hoping I feel better soon and find some way to get by despite my old age.

4 comments:

Auntie M said...

Happy Birthday my dear niece. I love you no matter how old and sick you become. I recommend you tell Kodie's neighbor. It sounds like they are pretty good at helping out when you are sick.

Kodie said...

Ah, Jil, it seems like only yesterday you were 27. I am sad to hear you are sick. If you need me to watch your boys let me know.

Shortcake said...

Well Happy Belated birthday! Thanks for dropping by the other day - sorry we were in the middle of a two hour meltdown with Lidds and trying to get everyone ready to go to a Dr. appt. I have a thank you card for you too, but I'll say it again -the muffins were so yummy and the outfit is really cute. I was chatting with Nickie and she said you made an awesome hooter hider - I need to have to have you show me how to make one, since nursing is going better this time. Anyway. Thanks again and I hope your birthday was great!

Kinley said...

Happy birthday 11 days ago. Sorry. I hope you are feeling better now and that your trip to New York or London shows up soon! I am sorry that you are in your late 20's. I feel like 27 is late 20's, but maybe I will still claim mid. I hope life is lovely and that you can continue to fall apart in your old age with grace!