
This morning the unexpected occurred. I was feeding Charlie his morning bottle and noticed all the snot that was accumulating at his nose, so when he finished I grab a kleenex and began the torture of wiping his face clean. Dave came downstairs while I was finishing up and sat down to put his shoes on. Charlie pulls away from me and seeks the safety of his father. Did my little baby just openly choose his father over me? Distraught I told Dave I felt like we needed to put Charlie in the middle of us and see which one his went to. Dave decided that was good idea and puts Charlie down across the room and came to stand back by me, and...that's right...Charlie walks straight to his Daddy.
I'm trying to comfort myself by thinking, well I had just attacked him with a kleenex, and Dave does have longer arms than me so technically he was the easier one to walk too. Still I wonder if this will become a more permanent preference. And I can't help but think 'Et tu, Brute?' After nine months of nursing you, you with your reactions to dairy, wheat, oats, eggs, and nuts. Nine months I went without chocolate or bread, I used to have dreams about eating sandwiches! And now this. Well, I've got a plan. A couple weeks ago I made brownies with the Heath and Wade, while they were licking the bowl and beaters clean they let their true feelings flow...
"Mom, you're a good mom, not a bad mom!"
"Yeah, a really really good mommy!"
"Mommy you're really pretty!"
"Really really pretty!"
You may still react to wheat and oats, but dairy is back on the table. Let's go get you some ice cream or something.

4 comments:
I'm sure it was the long arms. THat's the only solution that sounds right.
My favorite part is how you can totally tell which one of your sons is saying which line in the "Good Mommy" dialogue.
Also, I bet Dave cheated and just had some bacon in his pocket or something.
this is how i felt when wade (my son) stopped acknowledging my existence. it's painful, isn't it? (i'm so glad i can teach you these big lessons about the joys/pains of parenting.)
the good news is that i think heath is eternally emotionally attached to every living creature. so we'll always have that.
Charlie is adorable. I love the picture of him!
I wish I could see him in person.
"Licking the beaters" as a child is such a treat (better than the actual treat in my opinion).
William would actually ask the kids "Who do you like better, mommy or daddy?" What kind of question is that? He did it joking, but still....................
Post a Comment